Some of you may or may not know, but I arrived back in the States on Saturday--a few days earlier than my original scheduled arrival day of May 9th. And it has not taken long for jet lag to set in; hence, I am up in the wee hours of the morning blogging...
Last Wednesday, my friend Jill and I spent the morning touring some of Singapore's beautiful colonial black and white houses as part of historian and preservationist, Mrs. Geraldine Lowe's heritage tours. While the tour gives glimpses into the life of modern expatriate families, it also gives tour goers a sense of what life was like for colonial military families and officers living in Singapore during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Many of these white-washed and black wood-trimmed bungalows were built during the late 1800's and up until the outbreak of World War II during the British occupation of Singapore. Sadly, only 300 or so of these colonial gems remain. Today these houses and their lush green spaces are highly desirable amongst the expat community, and are leased through the Singapore government.
Boy, what I wouldn't give to be able to live within the walls of a black and white! If Jason and I end up in Singapore for an extended time, we may have to look into one of these smaller b&w bungalows!
Enjoy!
 |
This particular Black and White rents for roughly S$13,000/month
|
 |
| This particular bungalow doubles has a home/antique shop for an Australian family |
 |
| I love the double happiness jar display |
 |
| This is the home of a South African hotel excutive and his family, who moved to Singapore last August |
 |
| Did you notice the top hat lighting fixtures? |
 |
| The "black and white" theme is carried throughout the interior of the house as well |
 |
| Just the thought of having a back yard... |
No comments:
Post a Comment