Sunday, April 7, 2013

Copacabana and Corcovado and Christ The Redeemer



Copacabana Beach

  Thursday morning we put our toes in the Copacabana white sand and the crystal waters of the Atlantic and soaked up a little sun.  Mom and Dad even enjoyed a nice stroll along the beach.  And Graham, well, he ate sand.







Corcovado Mountain

  Later that afternoon we took a train up through the Tijuca Rain Forest (the largest urban forest in the world) to Corcovado Mountain to see the statue up close and take in the bird's-eye views of the city.  I am amazed at the sights each time I go!  I think my parents were too.  As for Graham, I think he preferred his first train ride and playing pick-a-boo with the little boys sitting behind us. 







The stadium in the background will be the site of the 2014 World Cup


Sugarloaf Mountain


Christ the Redeemer Statue

  Completed around 1931, this imposing art deco statue stands over 30 meters tall and was constructed with soapstone.  There is even a quaint little chapel at the base of the statue. 













Tijuca Rainforest



2 comments:

  1. These pictures are gorgeous! Love the sunset one in the rainforest. Looks like you enjoyed having your parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing pictures, Alaina! What a special trip for everyone. Sweet little Graham eating sand... such a prankster. =)

    ReplyDelete