Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Gong Xi Fa Cai! Rabbits Everywhere...

  Thursday kicks off the start of the Chinese New Year or the Spring Festival, the oldest and most important of the Chinese holidays or festivals.  2011 is the Year of the Rabbit in the Chinese zodiac, and so, elaborate Chinese New Year decorations abound with rabbits and lanterns, lining the streets and storefronts throughout Singapore and especially in Chinatown.  The Year of the Rabbit falls every twelfth year and I have read that those born during the Year of the Rabbit tend to personify certain characteristics--some good others less desirable, including:  keen, wise, fragile, tranquil, serene, considerate, fashionable, sneaky, and obsessive. 

  (Jason was curious to find out the animal of the year for 1980, since both of us were born then.  Fittingly, 1980 was the Year of the Monkey--go figure!  Some of our friends will get this and find it quite comical that "Billy and Tina" were born during the Year of the Monkey!!) 

  Another common Chinese decoration theme used for the New Year are citrus trees/shrubs.  It is customary for the Chinese to give oranges and tangerines as gifts as part of the New Year traditions; pronunciations of orange and tangerine in Chinese sound like "wealth" and "gold".  Our maid had two oranges waiting for us when we returned to the apartment Wednesday afternoon.   

  Recently, Jason and I went into Chinatown to experience (and take pictures too) the pomp and traditions that go along with the Chinese New Year.   


Decorations with rabbits lining the streets into Chinatown
If we had a patio, I wouldn't mind a pair for myself.  Luckily we don't and not to mention, I think $88S is a bit steep!
This tree is one of two large citrus trees at the entrance of our apartment building

Chinatown was very crowded!  
 Many of the shops in Chinatown are transformed into festival-like booths selling traditional Chinese candy, delicacies, and fruits. 


I preferred to shop at the Chinese antique stalls.  I am very fond of these "Double Happiness" porcelain ginger jars.


  As for our Chinese New Year plans,  this holiday is a chance for us to get out of Singapore and travel a little.  Thursday morning we are taking a road trip into the southwestern coast of Malaysia and spending three days in Melacca, a small historic state in the southern Malay peninsula.  I surely hope this trip provides me with more quality blogging material than the last time we ventured out of Singapore!

p.s.  For once, Jason and I are thankful we aren't home given the frigid weather.  Stay warm my friends!











No comments:

Post a Comment