Thursday, February 24, 2011

Christchurch Earthquake Hits Home

Hey everyone, this is Jason.  By now many of you have heard about the tragic earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand this past week.  This is the second earthquake to hit the city in the past 6 months.  The latest quake was much more devastating than the previous.  The death toll is approaching 100 and it is reported  that as many as 200-300 people are unaccounted for.  The number of deaths is attributed to the quake occurring in the early afternoon hours while people were working and out and about in the streets.

This is unfortunate for us since we are planning to visit Christchurch in April with a couple from Texas, living in Singapore.  Alaina and I were really looking forward to the trip since New Zealand is one of the most beautiful places in the world (It had nothing to do with the fact that I was going red stag hunting....well, maybe it had a little influence on my enthusiasm).  We are hoping that the trip does not turn into a logistical nightmare.  We are supposed to fly into Christchurch and spend two nights there, but we may have to alter our travel dates or make other arrangements with the hunting outfitter for lodging.  According to the news, authorities are evacuating the city-center because of infrastructure issues.  I was able confirm that our outfitter and his family were unscathed and they only felt a "little rumble" out in the country.

As you all know, we tend to steer clear of normalcy.  Very little in our lives goes according to plan.  The likelihood of having another earthquake within a month is pretty slim, so at their current rate, I would only get nervous if we were scheduled to visit in 6 months.  We will keep you posted on our plans for New Zealand.  In the meantime please pray for the victims and their families.


Photo courtsey of USA Today Travel

I am hopeful that I will still get to try my luck at killing a stag.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment