Last Sunday evening, Alaina and I attended the Singapore Formula 1 Grand Prix race, which was broadcast live on ESPN. It was quite an experience for both of us! I have never been a big fan of road-type or stock car racing, but I must admit that I now have a new-found appreciation for these Formula 1 cars and drivers.
We watched the race from the rooftop of the Singapore Recreation Club, which was located in the sharpest turn in the track and a really nice venue to watch the race. It was amazing to see the cars take that sharp curve at +80mph in 2nd gear. Once out of the curve, the cars were all in 7th gear in a matter of 3 seconds.
Being F1 novices, we really didn't know who to root for. Naturally, I would have pulled for an American driver, but there was not one in the field. It appears as though there aren't even any U.S. drivers on the entire circuit. The only natural alternative was to pull for the oilfield sponsored (Shell) Ferrari.
After the 61 laps through the streets of Singapore were completed and the smoke had cleared, Fernando Alonso came out on top in one of the Shell cars. Even though the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) remains favorite racing circuit, I may pay closer attention to Formula 1 in the future.
Take care,
Jason
![]() |
| The race course through the streets of Singapore |
![]() |
| Mariah Carey and Adam Lambert performed |
![]() |
| Try capturing a photograph of a car racing at speeds of +100mph |










No comments:
Post a Comment