Monday, October 25, 2010

Week of October 18th...A Lot of Eating!

Hey everyone!

  Aside from us recuperating from sore throats/upper respiratory issues and poor air quality this past week, we had a busy and fun-filled week to say the least.  Singapore has been blanketed by a thick haze as a result of fires from neighboring Sumatra Island, Indonesia.  I just haven't felt like dragging the camera with me everywhere...so I am lite on photos for this week.

  Before I forget: A very special Happy Birthday to Aunt Mary!!  Hope you have a wonderful day.

Photo from Channe NewsAsia.com

   Yesterday (Sunday) we had lunch with a couple from Texas (Ryan and Jill) at an American patio restaurant owned/operated by a Louisiana native.   Jason has known Ryan since he began working in Broussard, and Ryan stopped by the Ensco office in Singapore a few weeks back.  After a few attempts, we were finally able to get together for lunch and trade stories of life in Louisiana, Singapore and Texas.  Ryan and Jill were kind enough to show us a few popular areas afterwards.  We had great time with them! 
 
  Jason's general manager arrived in Singapore on Thursday, so he took the project team/spouses to dinner Saturday evening at a Mediterranean-styled establishment, Esmirada along Orchard Road.  We enjoyed our meals thoroughly, but the highlight of the evening came when we were given plates to shatter across the restaurant floor (mine was the only one not to shatter). 

Jason had the beef skewers and I had a pasta dish with steamed clams - photo from Esmirad.com

  Wednesday I had my first AWA outing--a lunch social at an eclectic Italian restaurant, The Verve Bar and Bistro (the gelato was divine).  I enjoyed my meal so much that I took Jason back to the same restaurant Friday evening!  I was a bit nervous attending the AWA event, not knowing anyone; but, the ladies I sat with were very outgoing and easy to converse with. The irony of my afternoon was that I befriended two British ladies, who ditched the British Club to join the American Women's Association because in their words, "American women are more fun" (lol).

  Earlier in the week we received an invitation to a cocktail party on October 28 at the Fairmont.  Along practically every street corner in Singapore you can find a custom tailor shop (many of which I have frequented).  Well this party gave me the perfect excuse to convince Jason that I needed to have a cocktail dress made and he, fitted for a suit.  Since the exchange rate is very favorable to the U.S. dollar and with holiday parties around the corner, Jason didn't resist.  So Tuesday evening we went out to Maharaja's Custom Tailors (we had been to this particular place when we visited Singapore in July and many times since then) to select fabric and dress/suit styles (the possibilities were endless).  This afternoon (Monday) we went for our first fitting and after all the eating we did this past weekend, I was a bit concerned that our measurements might have increased a tad--but all fit to size.   The tailor said he should have our clothing in time for the party Friday night.  Let's hope so!

Maharaja's Custom Tailors
It took a while, but Jason finally found fabric he liked for his suit.
Jason trying on his suit


No comments:

Post a Comment